Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Heritage from a MAN to his BOY.

I am married to an amazing man who was once a mischievous little boy. It is great truth that he grew in stature but also in craftiness. I stand amazed at the stories he has to tell about the things that he did. Much laughter.

He grew up a pastor's son which meant that he did not miss church. God love him, there were many times he felt the need to entertain. So entertain he did! Once during worship he thought up a jewel of an idea. I can picture his face fill with that smirk smile. While the congregation was standing he placed a straight pin in a very strategic place...right where his mom would be sitting. I had to stop and laugh a bit just for the mere thought. Soon enough the entertainment ensued with the scream and jump of his mother, the pastor's wife. Can we just chuck it up to the holy spirit? She was filled all right. To this day this man takes much pride in sharing this story. Oh what a joy to be his mother. She must have laughed much. If you think this is something we could top it. Oh yes, there is more, like the time his father was preaching on suicide. Let's just say that this ended in a trip to the emergency room during the middle of service.

Prankster, enough said.

This boy is now a father. A father to a young boy. The joy continues! I must say that Colton is crazy at times and then again shy at times. He is either all or nothing. Lately I have been watching this little guy learn the craft of his father. His heritage of pranksterness.

One night I was relaxing up in the loft when I heard what could only be described as shreeks coming from the Carly's room. I could not get there fast enough. Her voice was in sheer pain as she cried. I got in there and saw her holding and bunch of little tacks in her hand. She looks up at me and immediately I understood. They were in her bed. Placed there for her to find by the sensation only they could give. Who would do such a thing? Colton. Yes, you guessed it, the boy found his way. Without hesitation I ran into his room and immediately he found the error of his ways. I didn't even have to say a word my presence over his bed was more than enough. His eyes matched mine and we both knew...

All of this was dealt with while the Man of the House sat on our bed laughing in silence. His grin was huge and his pride even larger. That's my boy! I could read the thought all over the smirk that had settled on his face.

That night will go down in our history. The story will be told many times over the years. No matter how distorted and stretched that it becomes it will always live in our memory. The memory of four people that lived in a house full of love and craziness. Priceless.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww! I can say this to you because you were my very first bloggy friend! I totally love your family! You all are so much fun! I just know we would be friends in real life if we had the opportunity! But yeah, you guys ROCK!

jennyhope said...

the tack thing is awful! I was a little bully myself!!

jennyhope said...

um LOL because my little one just crawled up to the screen and gave your profile picture a kiss! I wish she would give me a sugar but you sure got one! SO FUNNY!

Heather said...

The things I have to look forward to with my little ones! I know they will be full of pranks. Especially the little one .. I can just see it in his face!

debra parker said...

Jenny...that is cracking me up. sweetness.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

That would be funny if not so painful!

I have 3 boys and a baby girl..so far we haven't gotten any further than baby doll torture...I hope it ends there! :)

mandy said...

what a story! i love that.... especially that your hubby just laughed afterwards!!! i hope i survive sons if i ever have them.
:) blessings!!!!!

jen said...

Oh my goodness how funny! My brother used to pull all kinds of pranks on us. I do seem to remember my sister and I finally having enough and getting him back pretty good one time... watch out Colton. :)

Anonymous said...

Like father like son--yikes!