Saturday, July 28, 2007

Some Shopping Therapy

Shopping is a good form of therapy. There is just something about going out and searching for cuteness. I am the one walking along with my 9 year old personal shopper. You can pick the two of us out easily due to our overzealous joy about sales. We are savvy shoppers. Oh yes. She is super because she loves to carry the loot.

That is just what it was like on Friday afternoon as we loved on the Mall of Abilene. I was in search of a new dress. Something simple and very me. The kind that when you see it you know it is the one. It is matchable to love at first sight. Do you ever have those shopping feelings?

It happened. The first store that we came to had the dress. When I saw it the roof of heaven opened up and light beams shown down upon it. Well, okay, it was not that dramatic...but still. It was even better in the dressing room when I tried it on and it fit. The best part of this dress is the price...under $20.(When you are trying to save every penny for an unknown upcoming move this is cool.) I have a few tanks that I am going to add to complete the look.

The trip went on to include shoes for $13 and accessories for under $10. Good times if I do say so. We even found a new shirt for the most amazing man in my life. A button down American Eagle L/S for only $15. He makes the shirt look great.

Back to the reason for my post. Am I the only one out here in blogville that shops for clothes like them. Is this some added weird factor to me? Really...what makes clothes like you anyway? We say it all the time...that is so you...this is so me. I do love the dress but now I am left to wonder what makes it feel like me.

10 comments:

Amanda said...

That is super cute! I do not know what makes something "so me," but I wish I could explain it to a personal shopper and send them out to hunt and gather. Oh, and I wish I had the money to do that.

I hope your cake was good! I wish I could have joined you!

Unknown said...

I think part of the joy about purchasing new clothing is the hunt. Yes, the drama of the heavens opening up, but also...the price tag that comfirms it is "so me"

I do love me some shopping

(Did I just pull that off? Because I am a Yankee you know!)

Unknown said...

I wish comments had spell check! I meant C-O-N-F-I-R-M-S!!!

mandy said...

oh yes -- i have to ask if its "me"... because, well, i think we women use clothes as a means to visually define ourselves...
what do we want to communicate to the world?
who do we want to tell them we are? what kind of first "impression" do we wanna make?
.... they say: "you can't judge a book by its cover"... but, unfortunately, we think like that about our clothes.
its just how we are. but that's ok. I was thinking about this recently, wondering if its rooted in materialism. i realized that even "primitive" tribes that are still in existence have some form of ornamentation and "style".... i think this need lies deeper than materialism.
i'm thinking we're hard-wired to need covering that makes us appear better than we are... (reference: fig leaves after the fall).

mandy said...

ps: i LOVE the dress... absolutely LOVE it!
:)

kittyhox said...

I'm one of those persons who has worn the same EXACT type of clothing since toddlerhood. The same general thing that my mother wore. I have a uniform and I have certain preferred colors.

Polos, striped button down oxfords, ribbed turtlenecks. Khakis, khaki shorts, cords. Loafers. Pink, navy, green.

So it's very very easy for me to spot clothing that is "me" because I'm not very adventurous. And I RARELY shop because I would just buy the same general things over and over.

:)

I love that other ladies love to shop and I like to admire their cute and stylish duds. I'm just super old school when it comes to my wardrobe!

jen said...

cute cute dress!! I have a specific style of clothing I like to shop for. I what makes it "so me" is that it's the style/color/and price I like. And I gotta say, that dress is so you! Cute cut, good coverage, and modest yet stylish. Definatly a "Debra" dress. (I love your style girl!) I can't wait to see it in person! :)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm the weird one, I guess, because I HATE shopping! With a passion.

I live in jeans, fleece, and flip-flops. And, if I can't buy it at Eddie Bauer or REI (on sale, of course), then you'll never find it in my closet. I think some of what makes something "so me" is where I live. Colorado is extremely casual...and I love that! I can't remember the last time I wore a dress...even to church (gasp!)

jen said...

Girl, the dress was cute! You looked so pretty this morning! Ya'll, she even had some really cute cute CUTE shoes! :) I didn't remember my camera or I would have snagged a picture. :)

Shelly said...

Oh no girl! You're not the only one. If I could paste a picture in here, I'd show you what the 'me' feel is.

I am LOVING the dress. Too cute (and it looks rather comfortable too - an added bonus).